Wednesday, June 6, 2018

One-third of May


1 May
Epistemological apperceptions

Is any of the music by Eminem syncopatic?

Thematic apperception test (cards >> TAroT cards)

Read about Tristan and Isolde from the Frasier reference to Wagner, and now checking out Tannhauser from Gravity’s Rainbow. Classical art keeps recurring throughout the kind of creative works that click with my mind.

I cannot bring myself to inveigh at anything or anyone – bar a few temporary aggrievances. It is a good change, I am sure, from the venting of young adult angst onto the question papers of engineering exams, in the spaces between the problem statements.

2
The search engine at the Wayback Machine is “having issues momentarily”. What do you do THEN? When even failsafes start to crumble, does anything apart from your experience remain?


3
Tannhauser is Wagner, and Wagner also scored Un Chien Andalou, “written” by Salvador Dali. Found this after starting from Georges Melies’ Google Doodle homage.

A Sunday to rest my eyes from the computer screen, plus El Clasico was excellent to watch.

7
Slight nausea at this ennui…I routinely get bored of routine. Perhaps disrupting my routine is the only routine I follow. Still, at least this place allows me to write/type without pressure. Small steps towards amorous company are progressing as well, in my usual style of selective aloofness.


8
You cannot escape your name.

The laws of thought can be most intelligibly expressed thus:
1.   Everything that is, exists.
2.   Nothing can simultaneously be and not be.
3.   Each and every thing either is or is not.
4.   Of everything that is, it can be found why it is.
There would then have to be added only the fact that once for all in logic the question is about what is thought and hence about concepts and not about real things.
— Schopenhauer, Manuscript Remains, Vol. 4, "Pandectae II", §163'


9
The surrounding nitwits have no chill. Neither do they have the guts to say more than a sentence or two to me. It is as I prefer. Inane small talk with ignorant and shallow people does not interest me in the slightest. It is a (W.A.S.T.E.) of my mind and my time. In this regard, I invoke Jean Paul Sartre: “Hell is other people.”

What is life without whimsy, Sheldon says, and I’m inclined to concur.



10
Jury-rigged, jerry-built

Soylent Green showed up in The Simpsons too: Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie. In the very next episode, Marge Gets A Job, Citizen Kane homage. Also, she recommends Tom Jones, who came up in a Chrome tab from Bob Dylan’s Nobel speech, referring to the Odyssey as an inspiration for songs. In many intricate way, the knowledge that has existed from classical times percolates into my mind – pop culture or high art, it is all fair game to my mind, devouring all and assimilating most – as much as possible, but that sounds defeatist. Never Give In. J

Managed to reach Batman’s first appearance in Detective Comics #27 from Sarnath, via Lovecraft, and his inclusion in the Elseworlds (not named as such when Gotham By Gaslight was first published) comics.



11
Fitting that I end this week with a link to a linguistic list:










No comments: